Monday, August 24, 2009

Saturday,
We slept in, which was nice since we have been tired--I think it's the altitude, it's almost 7000 feet here from what I hear. So we had lunch with Ricardo's sister Alejandra and her husband Mauricio. We had a really great time talking about Ale's wedding and many other things. Carmalita is the family nanny and cook. She is a really sweet and funny woman and I have really enjoyed talking to her. She is kind of like Ricardo's second mom. She also has made some great food. I have tried fideo, empanadas, chile rellenos, enchilladas, chilaquiles, and few other dishes. They are all so tasty. Fideo is a kind of soup that has fideo noodles and tomatoe sauce, and a bunch of other spices, it's really good :). Chiles rellenos are giant chille peppers stuffed with cheese and eggs with a tomato sauce over the top. Empanadas are on a hard, fried tortilla. Then you put a spicy chicken on top, lettuce, refried beens, cheese (it's a different kind i don't remember which), and salsa. I forgot to mention that there are several kinds of salsa here. Some are dark, almost black, some are green, and some are red. I think red is usually the spiciest but sometimes I'm wrong and I'm in for a surpise :) Ricardo doesn't like spicy food, but his dad and sister do and it has been fun exploring just how spicy food can get. Enchilladas are really similar to empanadas, but they are on a regular corn tortilla and the meat is different and less spicy. They also serve them with real cream (which ricardo says is way better than the sour cream they serve in the US, I like them both).

Well, saturday afternoon we went to a huge outdoor mall. It's new since ricardo lived here last and it was really fancy. They had an audi exhibit while we were there and it was pretty cool seeing the different models of the audi car. We were walking around outside of a Swaravski store and some guy must of thought Ricardo's dad was someone he knew. It was really funny though because he came from behind his dad, and as he got to where he dad was he turned and looked him in the face from about 2 inches away. I thought he was going to kiss him for a minute. It was pretty awkward but it looked so funny that we are all still laughing about it. Ricardo and his mom got me some really pretty mexican jewelry. I have seen a lot of jewelry here that is made with stones, especially with turquious. They also use other stones that are unfamiliar to me, they're all pretty though. Saturday I tried this new bread for dinner, and Carmalita and her niece Ale noticed that I liked it so they bought me more of it the next day. It reminds me a lot of the bread they served for breakfast in europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment